We will close April 1-May 15 and September 1-October 15.
We want to publish good poetry, no matter where or who it came from. We're looking for an array of styles, from narrative to abstract to form, but nothing you'd find forwarded to Aunt Betty's email (no offense to sender or receiver). So if you think you have the goods, bring it—we want to see it.
But please read our guidelines first.
- Submit up to 5 poems via email (details below), no more than 15 pages, no more than twice every 12 months, one submission at a time. Response time varies, but we try to respond within 3–4 months. Please don't ask about your submission until at least 4 months have passed, and please, have mercy on us—we try hard, but sometimes we get behind.
- No previously published poetry.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine, but definitely let us know if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- Include a short cover letter with a ~50 word bio and contact information (name, physical address and email address). Past publications and credentials certainly aren't required, but feel free to list them if you like. We like a little flavor—the editors' bios are a good example—but the standard fare is ok.
- We acquire First North American serial rights and reprint rights for potential inclusion in future anthologies and promotional material; upon publication, rights revert to the author. In addition to publishing your poem(s) in our printed/digital journal, we may submit your work—as it appears in our magazine—to third-party prizes, reviewers, and esteemed poetry websites (think Verse Daily). We send proofs prior to publication for your approval.
- Payment is two contributor's copies and a discounted rate on additional copies.
- Send only original work. If you quote another poet or source, we expect that source to receive credit. If we suspect your work to be plagiarized, we will be mightily peeved and won't hesitate to contact the appropriate authorities.
Attach poems in one attachment in .doc (MS Word) or .rtf (Rich Text Format) format—no zipped files (or other compressed archives). More than one attachment complicates things. We have day-jobs. Have mercy on us. Your cover letter/bio can be in the body of the email or the attachment. Don't forget to include your mailing address.
Put your last name and "submission" in the subject line. For example: “Smith Submission.”
We virus scan all incoming attachments. If any attachment sets off a security alert, the message will be immediately deleted and you may not receive a response.
We no longer accept mailed submissions, unless previous arrangements have been made. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.